Clearance Process for Graduation & FAQs

The degree conferral process is initiated when graduate students apply for graduation in CaneLink. Once a student applies for graduation, the student's graduate department approves the application to then be reviewed by the Graduate School. The Graduate School then reviews and clears approved students for degree conferral by the Office of the Registrar.


Q. How do I apply for graduation?
A: You must apply for graduation via CaneLink. The application for May 2017 graduation is open Wednesday, February 8 – Friday, March 3 .

Q. I missed the graduation application deadline, can I still be considered for graduation?
A: It is important to submit an application for graduation in CaneLink by the deadline so that you are considered for timely degree conferral and participation in the commencement ceremony. If you missed the deadline, notify your graduate program director.

Q. CaneLink isn’t letting me apply for graduation, what do I do?
A: Contact your department to ensure you are eligible to apply for graduation. For technical assistance contact the CaneLink help desk at 305-284-6565.

Q. My department has confirmed that I am eligible for graduation, but CaneLink won’t let me apply, who should I contact?
A: If you have applied for graduation during a previous semester, but did not graduate, CaneLink will not allow you to apply for a current semester. Please email requesting that your graduation semester be updated.


Q. After applying, is there anything else I need to do?
A: If you’re completing a doctoral dissertation you will also need to have your dissertation reviewed by the Graduate School's Dissertation Editor and approved for submission in the Electronic Thesis and Dissertation (ETD) repository. All dissertations should be submitted to All doctoral students must adhere to dissertation defense and other submission deadlines posted on our website, click here.  Only select master’s programs require thesis review by the Graduate School's Dissertation Editor for submission in the ETD repository. Please contact your program to verify if Graduate School review is required for your master’s thesis.



Q. I applied through CaneLink, how do I know if my department has approved my application for graduation?
A: You should first contact your department directly.  Your department will be able to confirm if you have been approved for graduation, and/or if any further action is required on your part.

Q. My program has already approved my application for graduation, when will my degree be conferred?
A: Once your program approves your application for graduation, your file must be reviewed and approved by the Graduate School. Once approved, your degree should be awarded by the Office of the Registrar within 14 business days. The first date degrees will be awarded for Spring 2017 graduates is May 19, 2016. If your degree has not been awarded within this timeframe please contact the Office of the Registrar at (305) 284-2292 or


Q. I was advised that my student file is not complete, what do I do?
A: If your file is incomplete, you will need to submit the requested documents directly to your department.


Q. When will I get my diploma?
A: Diplomas are typically mailed within 14-21 days of your degree being awarded. Please ensure your diploma address in CaneLink is correct. If you have not received your diploma and believe you should have, please contact the Office of the Registrar: website, phone (305) 284-2294; email


Q. I was cleared to graduate last semester, but wasn’t able to walk. Can I walk during the upcoming commencement ceremony?
A: Any questions regarding commencement should be directed to the Office of Commencement at 305-284-5798 or